This is not a pie. THIS is a work of art.
I wish I could take credit for this one but this delicious apple pie is the work of Jenn Brady and Amanda Massey. Well done, Ladies. WELL DONE.
I know that pies can be intimidating. They’re more time-consuming than cookies and require a bit more skill when it comes to assembly BUT there’s nothing like a homemade pie. I’d recommend recruiting a few extra hands in the kitchen and making it an event if you’re nervous to tackle this feat alone. This recipe came from Jen’s mom but because they were pressed for time they used a store-bought crust. If you want to try making your own crust, consider trying my Boozy Pie Crust recipe that I posted a while back.
I had a piece…ehh two pieces…of this pie last night and it was delicious. Thanks girls…keep it coming.
- Frozen pie crust OR follow Boozy Pie Crust recipe
- 2 lbs apples, peeled, cored & sliced (about 8 large to medium apples) Mix apple types for best flavor. (honey crisp, fuji, gala)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp butter
1. Line pan with 1/2 the dough
2. In bowl mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & flour
3. Wash, peel, & core apples. Cut pieces into three slices.
4. Add the sliced apples & mix together. Stir until apples are well coated and there is no more dry mixture. Should be syrupy
5. Place apple slices in the pie pan layering slices first along the outside and then working toward the center. Create second layer repeating process until all apples are used.
6. Sprinkle apples with lemon peel and juice, dot with butter.
7. Dip fingers in water and, moisten edges of pie crust – tuck cover dough under the bottom dough, push edges firmly. Slash vents and cook 375 degrees 30-40 minutes (usually takes about an hour) until apples are tender and crust crisp.
8. For a golden crust, take pie out in the last 2o minutes and half way through and paint dough with an egg white wash and drizzle butter over it.
9. When decorating pie crust with dough designs, cook the pie half way or 20 mins, take out and paint crust with an egg white wash, stick on dough designs and egg wash again to prevent designs from rolling.
**You can decorate your cake with these AWESOME fall cutouts by purchasing simple pie crust cutters. Williams-Sonoma has great ones that you can buy here**