My fabulous roomie/taste tester/person who gets me all the things I can’t reach on the top shelves turned 24 on Sunday so it was only right that I baked her a birthday cake.
Per her request, I made a coconut layer cake. I decided to make a coconut buttercream frosting BUTT I have to be real with you here…I wish I’d gone with something a little lighter and whipped. The buttercream frosting was a little too sweet and dense for the cake so if you do decide to make this cake…try a fluffier alternative. Anywhoo..I included the recipe for the buttercream frosting below because it’s still a good frosting that you can put on other stuff…or, if you’re like me…eat by the spoonful. I’m gross.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
2. Beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut and coconut flakes in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract
3. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and buttermilk
4. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into batter
5. Divide cake batter evenly between the cake pans. Bake cakes for 45 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out cleanly from the middle of the cake).
6. Let the cakes cool for about 10 minutes then run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes. Make sure you let them cook COMPLETELY in the pans before you try to take them out…this will take at least an hour.
Directions for frosting:
1. Dissolve salt in milk and let stand 2-3 minutes.
2. Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Add salt/milk mixture to butter and powdered sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla to taste.
Directions for assembly:
1. Make sure cake has cooled completely and remove from cake pans.
2. Place 1 cake layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup Coconut Buttercream Frosting over cake layer. Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over. Top with second cake layer.
3. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATIE!