Let me begin this post by saying that I live in Manhattan, so, rarely do I see trees or dirt or anything really besides concrete.
Will the summer coming to an end, I wanted to do something to enjoy the beginning of a new season. Wilkens Farm is about 45 minutes outside of the city (by train) and is a GREAT family owned fruit farm. There were both Gala and Macintosh apples available to pick, a cute hayride to the orchard and a great little bakery on site.
I really enjoyed my day at the farm and the change of pace from crazy city life. Also, the apples were AMAZING. You can definitely tell the difference between these farm fresh ones and the waxy ones at the grocery stores. If you live around NYC this is a trip worth taking. You can find more information here at their website..happy apple picking!
Cake cookies! These are a hybrid of a cookie and a slice of cake..moist and fluffy at the same time. YUM.
I love these because you can really taste the fresh strawberry flavor and they’re just so darn pretty.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add in the strawberries, egg and vanilla. Mix completely.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Add this mix to the wet ingredients.
- Put a tablespoon size amount dough on baking sheet (make sure you flatten with a fork) and bake for 8 minutes. *For decoration, push a small slice of strawberry on top of every cookie.
- Remove and let cookies cool for 20 minutes