MAKE YOUR OWN PIE CRUST. Do it. It’s really not that hard and makes a HUGE difference in the taste and texture. What’s also cool about making your own pie crust is that you can add in your favorite BOOZEEE to the crust for a nice hidden flavor. I like to add amaretto liquor (like in the recipe below) but you could probably add in a dark rum or brandy. Also, the secret to getting a really pretty golden crust is drizzling melted butter over the crust in the last 20-30 minutes that the pie is baking.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (plus 2 melted tablespoons for drizzling)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 Tbsp of amaretto liqueur
- Mix the flour, butter, salt and sugar…it’s be a pretty coarse mix and it’s okay if there are little chunks of butter. Mix in the water and liqueur then form into a disk.
- Cover in plastic wrap and pop it into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the disk from the freezer and roll it out on a floured surface. Place the disk into a deep dish pie pan and evenly cover the pan.
- Fold up the edges of the crust around the rim of the pie pan.